Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Mc[Expletive] (Wk 3 Blog 2)

I feel like a broken record, but yet again, I have a comparison to something in Public Administration: Ch. 6 p. 185-8 talks about employee “resistance” to organizational control and power. I liked the example of the employee who wear the “Mc[expletive]” shirt underneath his official McDonalds uniform. This illustrates an aspect of the concept behind the book “The Ethics of Dissent: Managing Guerrilla Government” by Rosemary O’Leary. The author talks about the very real situation that many employees are faced with: rebelling against the organization from within- legally, ethically, and (hopefully) in such a way as to not get fired.

3 comments:

Nan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gaber said...

Ah yes, Managing Guerrilla Government is a personal favorite of mine from 210. There are quite a few parallels between our reading for COMM 144 and the various management theories and organizational problems we read about in Guerrilla Government. I thought the story about the EPA's Seattle Regional Office fit in well with our readings for this week. Reagan's first appointment to direct the regional office was a disaster that created a culture of distrust and in the appointment's own words, "stark terror." Indeed management can come in and undermine the values and ethics of an organization so much that they single handedly change the culture and create the opportunity and even necessity to wage guerrilla warfare against management.

JMcAvoy said...

I think I'll read Managing Guerrilla Government even though it is not required. Sounds like a impactful book. I really don't want to admit this, but I have definitely felt like the guy you mentioned in your post wearing the Mc____ shirt underneath his uniform. It's a horrible feeling to not like who you are working for because it puts you in a weird situation of not wanting the company to succeed but wanting the boss to fail. I can speak from experience.